While all of you were fast asleep I was on final approach into Prague. As we came in over the Czech landscape the sun was just rising as if to welcome me to this new land. The timing could not have been anymore perfect. We touched down at the airport which reminded me that no matter how different or far apart various cultures are an airport looks about the same. Massive, covered in glass, lots of planes, and overwhelmingly chaotic as the people wait anxiously for planes to depart and arrive. After a quick run through customs in which I am fairly certain the customs agent didn't even look at my face, I shot to baggage claim praying that my suit case had made it, a somewhat unreasonable fear that has become all to familiar for two reasons, one I am a Marquardt and if a once in a lifetime occurance is going to happen at the Prague airport it will happen when I am there and two I am the son of the notorious Tom Marquardt who feels no matter how good a trip is going, some way or another we are gonna get screwed. For those of you who know him you understand. Anyway the luggage arrived safely and I was now sitting comfortably in the back of a cab heading into old town. The area around the airport was what I had always heard eastern Europe was like, gray, covered in graffiti, towers of low cost living, and an overall unfortunate feeling. As I gazed out over the fog covered landscape wondering what it would be like to grow up in a world like the one that lay before me the cab driver pointed and announced, "the kings castle." While I was excited to see what was possibly one of the most beautiful buildings I had ever seen, I was mildly upset that despite my efforts to blend in I was still so clearly a tourist the cab driver could tell. I quickly got over that as we drove along the royal gardens and then like a scene from a movie we emerged from the fog onto a series of switch backs that gave me a view of the entire city. The sun hung just over the roof tops of the building catching the river and shooting glares across all the boats that were docked along the banks. The entire time I wished there was some sort of music playing as it seemed as though this scene before me would only be inhanced by it. This truly is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen and I wished the road we were coming down on was just a bit longer. I arrived at my hotel a very old building with elevators so small there was only room for two. I hooked in my adapter to charge my computer and camera only to blow out the lights in my entire room and hall way, wonderful start! After an embarrassing trip to the front desk I layed down and did the excat wrong thing when attempting to adjust to a new time zone, slept most of the day. However when I got up I figured it was time to do a little exploring and in keeping with my desire to be out of my element I chose a street and headed down it. Every block or so I would stop look around remember a church or some other landmark as I thought that may be useful when trying get home. About a mile later I stumbled upon Old Town Square. I recognized it from No Reservations and was thrilled that this is what I came upon and not some horrible part of town where I didn't belong. I walked a bit taking in the buildings noticing every detail often times stopping and touching the side of an old building realizing that I truly had my hand on a piece of history, that how many ever 100 years ago someone had stood before that same spot. Later on I decided I had to try one of the foods I had seen on No Reservations and did so. I walked up to one of the food stands and ordered the slice of fried goat chees on a bun with mayo. Very simple in taste but that simple taste that makes you feel comfortable and want more along with a Czech pilsner it was the perfect meal. After that minor experience I realized it was getting late and headed back. Saw a few crytal stores that I promised my mother I would stop in and find her some wine glasses and after a few offers to go to a caboret and a "shaggy shag" joint where I was told I would no doubt fall in love, I wound up back at my hotel closed my eyes and waited for tomorrow.
Chasing til the next time,
Jake
I don't think you will ever fall in love at a "shaggy shag joint." Just sayin'...
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTotally not an unreasonable fear. I lost my baggage for a week in Milan and was forced to buy/borrow clothes. Heh, that sucks about blowing a fuse from plugging in your electronics, sounds like my place ;)
ReplyDeleteTake it easy man.